According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), it’s normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs per day. This amount of hairs lost per day does not usually cause noticeable thinning of scalp hair because new hair is growing in at the same time. If you are losing more hair than that, it means that you are shedding more than you should be. According to a 2014 survey by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, approximately 35 million men in the United States suffer some type of hair loss, while approximately 21 million women are affected by hair loss. Thinning hair can be caused by lifestyle habits, genetics, or both. Certain medical conditions may also lead to thinning hair.
Hair loss is typically related to one or more of the following:
- Family history (heredity)
- Hormonal changes and medical conditions
- Medications and supplements
- Radiation therapy
- Experiencing uncontrolled stress
- Certain hairstyles and treatments (excessive hairstyling)
- An immune system deficiency
- A skin disorder or infection
- Not getting enough iron, folic acid, and other minerals in your diet
At the New England Stem Cell Institute, we offer thinning hair treatments including the Vampire® Hair Restoration treatment. For more information or to see if you are a candidate, contact us today.